DALLAS (AP) -- The Mavericks-Spurs series took another wild turn Thursday, with Dallas guard Jason Terry getting suspended from Game 6 for punching former teammate Michael Finley while chasing a loose ball in the closing seconds of Game 5.

Terry and Finley jostled with 3.4 seconds left in San Antonio's 98-97 victory on Wednesday night. Terry wound up on his back, grasping the ball, but Spurs forward Manu Ginobili got a hand on it, too, to force a jump ball.

While officials were trying to sort out who had possession, Finley was visibly angry and needing to be restrained by teammates. He appeared to be making a fist and telling his teammates that someone had punched him.

Nothing was called at the time. Neither team mentioned it during postgame interviews.

"Unbelievable," Mavs owner Mark Cuban wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "Michael Finley does a pile driver with his hip to Jason's head while he is on the ground. Jason is on his back with Ginobili laying on top of him.

"No question he tried to get Finley off of him and he should be fined for that. But to suspend him is questionable."

Terry missed a 15-foot jumper in the closing seconds, allowing San Antonio to keep alive its title defense.

The Mavericks still lead the series 3-2. They have another chance to advance to the conference finals with Game 6 at home. If the Spurs win, Game 7 would be Monday night in San Antonio.

Terry already had been sharing point-guard duties with Devin Harris since Game 2. Dallas' most likely move would be adding Jerry Stackhouse to the lineup.

Stackhouse and Finley tangled at the end of Game 2, with Stackhouse getting a technical foul.

Finley has been a lightning bolt all series, with his teammates and coaches offended that he's been getting booed in Dallas. Finley spent the previous nine seasons with the Mavericks, making the All-Star team twice and leaving as the fourth-leading scorer in franchise history.

After practice Thursday, Terry was finishing shooting before speaking to reporters when he was called to the locker room by coach Avery Johnson. He didn't return and he wasn't expected to take part in his local radio show scheduled for Thursday night.

Source: Yahoo Sports